NOWHERE TO GO BUT EVERYWHERE


 photo 10005496_810010139021280_1172536650_n_zpsfa68f106.jpg
Both destiny's kisses and its dope-slaps illustrate an individual person's basic personal powerlessness over the really meaningful events in his life: i.e. almost nothing important that ever happens to you happens because you engineer it. Destiny has no beeper; destiny always leans trenchcoated out of an alley with some sort of Psst that you usually can't even hear because you're in such a rush to or from something important you've tried to engineer.

I'm not so sure about destiny, but I believe every damn word David Foster Wallace ever wrote.

And I am noticing, more and more, that I truly get swept along by that kinda ‘life inertia’ that is way too big for me to interfere with. It’s that feeling of being swept in a certain direction, regardless of the byways or side streets or detours I might accidentally head down. It’s life happening to me, totally outside of any intentional orchestration. Or, it's the sense of working really hard toward something without knowing what the higher aim is.

But anyway, I don’t really mind it. 
It’s just a bit of a shock sometimes when I glimpse that higher aim. 

2 comments:


  1. I've been following you and your blog for a while and one thing I love is the way you write and how you can make everything seem like poetry. The illustrations, the photos, the quotes... Miss Rachel, you are truly special. :] <3

    - Lizz
    Smile a little here :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lizz, that's an incredibly beautiful thing to say! <3

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...